Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Taco Tuesday!!!

We are naming and claiming over here!
Taco Tuesday - two weeks in a row!
Might we be setting a new Douglas family record!?
I definitely bring the Douglas name shame when it comes to organization and schedules and anything else that requires commitment and discipline.
Well, unless I really, I mean really set my mind to something.  I can occasionally focus in on a race of some kind, but that is about it.
Disclaimer: I am not saying I am a BAD person, I am just saying I have trouble FOCUSING!!!
Anywho, things are changing around here, by the baby steps anyway.

I kinda thought we would be living back at home by now and we'd be in a super summer routine (or something that resembles such), but we still have a few weeks left at my parents.  I am so thankful we have had this time to share with them and really just grow as a family (literally), but at the same time its hard to begin any new routine when we aren't in our own space.
So...one thing I figured we could control was our meals.
EK and I made a summer menu that looks something like this:

Monday - grill out (chicken/salmon)
Tuesday - Taco Tuesday
Wednesday - pizza
Thursday - sandwiches - maybe picnics at the park!?!
Friday - grill out again (burgers/hotdogs)
Saturday - dinner out
Sunday - shocking surprise - aka - wing it

The only one that has the kiddos talking is Taco Tuesday so I am playing that one up big around here!  Its funny what kiddos can get excited about! : )

Last week here is how we did the tacos in the crock pot

3 chicken breasts
1 pkg taco seasoning
covered chicken with seasoning, then water
cooked on high for 3 hours
shredded chicken, added can of rotel and a can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
cooked on low for another hour or so
then we loaded up our corn tortillas with this delicious concoction
and every other possible bit of yummy that sounded good on top!

It was so good!
I might be the last person to jump on this taco meat in the crock pot train - but it was news to me!
So easy and seriously hole-in-the-wall-mexican-joint good!

Tonight we are having beef tacos.
Did yall hear all about that pink slime nastiness that was all over the news a few weeks back?
ick.  So disgusting.
Its just gross.
So I dont actually know if my meat has pink slime or not, but I got it at Whole Foods thinking that it might not have it. I mean, I have probably eaten it all my life and never known or cared, but now that I know, its kinda hard not to think about it.  yada yada.

Anyways,
I made my own taco seasoning, bc mine was expired, and I am weird about that.
Heres whats in it tonight

1T chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp course salt

I sauteed some onion and green pepper in olive oil and a little butter too.  Not sure why I did both but seems like something the Pioneer Woman would do, so I wanted to also.  Then I added the meat (hopefully sans pink slime) and the seasoning and um, it tastes reeeeaaaaallll good.
About to dish it up right now on some broken up tortilla chips and whole wheat tortillas!

Hooray for Taco Tuesday!
I sure didnt invent it, but I sure do like it!
a lot.

any other family ideas? I would LOVE to have some more fun things to do around here!
I am so not creative but love love good ideas I can grab hold of!

2 comments:

  1. We try to have a regular steak and movie night. And I am glad ya'll are eating at our house on one of your nights out... we can't mess up the routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Taco Tuesday (or Thursday some weeks). I have adapted it some - crockpot Mexican Stuffed peppers are a hit, Enchiladas, and Mexican pizza. Oh, another way to do your chicken - crockpot style - 1 jar of salsa and 2-4 chicken breasts. Deliciousness!!!

    During the fall/winter months I do Italian Mondays.

    ReplyDelete