Sunday, May 2, 2010

SIX YEARS!!!

Art and I are a good team. We always have been. Thankfully. As of yesterday we have been married for a whopping 6 years!!! We are just plain old "good" for each other. Marrying him was definitely the best decision (other than having Jesus as my Lord and Savior)I have EVER made! I often thank him for asking me to marry him. He speaks the truth - which I need oh so often! I am so grateful for him and the role he plays in my life and so COMFORTABLE with him too. You know, six years is not that long. Its just not - in the grand scheme of things we've really only just begun. Isnt that crazy. we have lots more STUFF to do, memories to make and maybe babies to have! Ha!!!
This year has been one of the least easy for us. I dont want to say it was a hard one...well, I guess it kinda was. Having 2 kiddos is tough. Being married and staying connected on top of that is even harder. So yesterday I was on a jog alone just talking to God, asking how I could be better...how can be a better wife to Art and make this 7th year better than all 6 combined. He just kept saying, "Be kind! Be the kind of person you are teaching Emma Kate to be! Love him MORE than you love yourself!" Agh - so how do I do that!?! I think I am a good wife, you know!? I do all the "wife" stuff but I know I am just missing something. So here I am to tell everyone so I can have a little accountability what I am going to do to love Art more than I love myself! These may seem silly, but if you know me well, you know they are kind of MAJOR things for me! I have this little DIET COKE problem. It cost probably $3/day for me to meet my DC quota. Crazy, right!?! It bugs Art like no other. Not just bc of money, but because he/I both know that its no good for me. So for the remainder of the month of May, I am going cold turkey. No dc! He'll be so proud! And I bet I will feel way better too!!! Thats an extra bonus!
Another thing we are going to do together is eat in for the rest of the month. Yikes! We are major eater-outers. I think we really have no idea how much we really spend eating out. So...if anyone wants to eat with us...come on over and we'll eat in! until memorial day! I am blogging about it so that I will DO IT!!!! I have been known to commit to things only to give up after a day, an hour, a minute.
I'll let you know how its going! And of course, there are many other ways I am going to love Art more than I love myself, but these are kind of tangible ways that I can actually show him that I am choosing him and respecting him (and his dislike of Diet coke and wasting money!) over myself.

3 comments:

  1. Happy 6 Years to one of my favorite couples of all time!

    Prayers for you as you embark on the no diet coke/no eating out journey this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!! I too am a big fan of diet coke so I wish you the best! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. katie - really proud of you. i know both of those things aren't easy - and i will help you in any way that i can! you can do it!

    happy anniversary. you aren't just good for each other - you are a GREAT couple. i've seen you in action... GREAT for each other.

    ReplyDelete