Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hands and Feet

Last week small group rallied back together. We took the summer off. And now it is so good to get things rolling again. We watched part one of a dvd series on the Good Samaritan. People, I know this story. I have heard the story a million times. Maybe not a million, maybe more like hundreds, but either way, I have heard it a lot. The man who no one respected was the one who stopped to help the man who was hurting. It wasn't the priest or the levi. It was the Samaritan.
And it should be me. Yeah yeah, it should be me. I should help people less fortunate. But what if they take advantage of me? What if I give what little I can, what if it hurts to give because my family could use that and then it is used for something that isn't even helpful. Or what if I put myself in a dangerous situation? Is that worth it? We already give our ten percent. And then some really. So shouldn't we feel good about that? Not proud, just good. I mean, the little bit I can do, does it really make a difference? I mean, come on, really? It cant possibly make a difference. Maybe for an hour. Maybe for a day. But not for a lifetime.

Many times I have thought, SO WHAT, its what I am supposed to do. We give. We serve. We love. Thats what we, as Christians, are SUPPOSED to do! So we sacrifice. we put ourselves in awkward positions from time to time. We take homeless men into a grocery store to buy them lunch then get kicked out ourselves. We take a man some food and money rather than allow him to continue digging through the dumpster. Can you even imagine? We support a family at Christmas. But what does this all do? It seems so small. So insignificant.

While watching this video, mind you, it was just PART ONE, it hit me, we are not SUPPOSED to care for the lonely, oppressed, orphaned and widowed. We are COMMANDED to care for these people. COMMANDED. It is our job. Well, thats how I see it anyway. Was Jesus just speaking to some of us? Just to those of us have a heart for adopting, or the homeless or widowed? I kinda dont think so. Remember, I am still learning. He commands ALL of us to do this. Can you imagine if we all followed this command? To love our neighbors AS MUCH AS we love ourselves? Incredible! We could change our neighborhood. We could change Atlanta! We could CHANGE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, but I am just one. I really cant do this. Its too big. Someone else will do it. But when I approach the throne I don't want to have to say, "I was busy, I thought someone else could manage with out me." No way. I want to say, "Lord, I could have done more, but I really really tried to follow your commands and love those who received no love and care for those who couldn't care for themselves." I don't want to be proud of it, I just want this to be a part of my life, just like caring for my family, exercise, etc. I want Jesus to be WHO I AM! You know what I mean. I don't want to be HIM. But I do want to be His Hands and Feet. I want to DO for others what He would do for them.
I don't even know where to start. The Atlanta Union Mission has always had my attention. That may be where I start. Where I get my hands dirty. Would love love some company. Or ideas. Or thoughts! I am so excited. And so terrified. About what I might learn about "real life" and even about myself. Yikes! BUT, I am so thankful to have had this small glimpse of truth poured on me and ready to learn some more!!!

I have been processing some of this since Thursday and then read this last night.

These lines are exactly where I am coming from. Satan has had me blinded. Well, I am going to start learning, and seeing, and doing, and its gonna be great! So, see ya later Satan, I am onto you. You have one less "blind" girl in your grip!

"Satan wants us to be numb, for it not to affect us. He wants us to see that image of the malnourished orphan on TV or the internet and not think of her as our own daughter. He doesn't want us to feel for her as if it was our "neighbor". Satan has won for far too long."

2 comments:

  1. I love this and can't wait to hear what God is doing in your heart. It sounds like he is working on all of us big time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agree! I teared up reading your blog! God is definitely raising up an army! Love you!

    ReplyDelete