Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What I want her to know

This is for Emma Kate. I was awake on Monday night just thinking about the man who died when a tree hit his car. Art and I were just talking about that and thought what a slim chance it would be for something like that to ever happen but it happened to that poor man, and just a couple miles from our house. So as I was listening to the thunder early Tuesday morning I just kept thinking, "What if anything happened to us? Would Emma Kate ever be able to remember how much we love her?" Because of that, I am writing this.

Emma Kate, you may never really know how much I love you until you are a mother of your own precious baby. I certainly love my mom more since you were born. Well,maybe I don't LOVE her more, but I appreciate her more than ever. Emma Kate, I love that I dreamed of you before God ever started making you. I have always pictured a precious blonde hair, blue-eyed girl just like you! Your curls are a surprise and I LOVE THEM!!! They suite you so perfectly it makes me laugh. They bounce all over the place and are pretty untameable most days, kind of like you!!! You are what most would call a "strong-willed child" and your dad and I pray and know that it will turn out to be one of your strongest qualities! You love danger, very unlike me, but you are teaching me everyday not to be so frightened! Yes, you, even at 2 are teaching me things! Because of you I slow down to enjoy small moments of each day, I read more, I pray more, I believe more, I have more fun, I am less scared, I am definitely more busy, but also more productive, my heart is bigger and I am just a better Me when I see the world through your eyes. I love teaching you to help others and be kind to each other and to share. You are quite good at sharing food, not so good at sharing toys, but we're working on that! I love praying for you and with you. I think you are so smart but your daddy...he thinks you're basically BRILLIANT! And maybe he's right! You are clever, bright, beautiful, funny, quick, rowdy, joyful, playful, talented, honest etc. I am so thankful for you!
Emma Kate, you may never even understand what this all means until you hold a little one of your very own (which will be a long time from now) but I wanted to share. I love you so much and am so thankful to God to be your one and only Mommy! I look forward to many fun times with you and maybe a few bumps along the way. My mom and I had those too, but she's my very best friend and I hope you will call me your best friend one day too!
I LOVE YOU!

3 comments:

  1. I should have known from the title that this was going to be a tear jerker. What a sweet note for an incredibly sweet little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. so well written and perfectly sums up that angel. love it. she will treasure this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is precious. It brought tears to my eyes. Court is right- she will completely treasure this one day. So special!

    ReplyDelete