I'm a little late for a blog post - theres only 2 1/2 hours left of this holiday! But who's counting!?! (besides me!) I could go on and on about what a wonderful Daddy Art is. Really, I could. He's awesome. So sweet with his girls. They love him more than ever and I think he would say the same. We've had a great day. Woke up and spent the better half of our day at the lake then came home to spend the evening with my dad. As I drove home in the quiet empty car alone I realized I needed to tell y'all about my dad! Many of you know this already, but I want to share for those of you that dont...its kind of a big part of my life. A really big part actually! And to me a huge example of a godly man and father.
Mom married David as I called him for 15 years when I was five. From that day on he was my stepdad and Nathan, my stepbrother. Together mom and David had Em and Milla, our sisters. David took me to dances, made sure I had a great education, disciplined me, loved on me, made me feel like I was his, and most importantly introduced my mother and myself to Jesus Christ. But I was a "typical" girl, just really didn't give him as much respect and love as I now wish I had. Especially being a parent now, I realize the little things really make a difference...I wish I had pitched in more with stuff around the house and seemed more grateful for all I had been given. He sent me off to Auburn and quickly became an Auburn football fanatic! Our bond began there I think. Out of the house, I grew closer to David and to mom. I think I began to realize all they had blessed me with and what an incredible family we have - and that not all are so fortunate. During those Auburn years, we made it through some high flying cellphone bills, outrageous credit card bills, overdrawn Tiger Card accounts, shocking Auburn losses and thrilling wins (YES...THRILLING!!!), speeding tickets, etc. All those years I was Katie Stokes. Weird, right? I know! It was not until I had graduated from college that David approached me about adopting me! I was 22 years old and jumped at the opportunity! Why had we not thought of this sooner!? I cant believe I never thought of this! I never felt like I was any different than my siblings (becauseI wasn't). There were times the last name thing kinda got in the way, but that just came with the territory. So anyway, the next month we had everything situated, sat before a judge in a small conference room in Fulton County and I became Katie Deeter and David became my dad! Of course, he had always been my dad, well, since I was five anyway. From that day on I have always called him Dad. Oh and it feels so so good. The love he has shown me is immeasurable and such a wonderful picture to me. He didnt have to do this. He didnt have to do any of it. But he did. And thats who he is. David Deeter is my dad. I love him so much and am so proud to be his.
Thank you sweet Dad! I love you and am glad you're mine! Happy Fathers Day!!!
great post. he is such a neat man.
ReplyDeleteI love you so much!
ReplyDeleteI am so blessed to call you sister.
I am in tears- seriously- this is a precious post. Love you friend!
ReplyDeleteI love you, Katie!
ReplyDelete