Sad. Today was sad. Well, just a small part of it. For some reason this morning I decided we needed to go to the zoo. It turned out to be a perfect day for it - absolutely beautiful!!! And the 10 hours of sleep I got last night was a bonus too! So just in case it was closed today I checked the zoo website. Looks like we were good to go..until...I saw the link at the bottom of the website. "Zoo Atlanta mourns loss of African Elephant" What? Please don't let it be the one that was having the baby in March - yes, I know when she was due, and yes, it was her. You may have seen it on the news but Dottie the elephant who was having a baby died last week. I have to say, with a little embarrasment that I shed tears. EK and I have been learning about her and her baby for months and months. We talk about it from time to time how we are excited to see a baby elephant at the zoo, etc. I didn't tell EK of course, b/c she wouldn't remember - OR SO I THOUGHT! We were looking at one of the elephants while we were there and I said, "What do you think her name is?" I thought she would say "Ella" b/c we have a book about Ella the elephant right now. NOPE - she said Dottie. My eyes got all watery. I am sad. It may seem silly but that is something EK and I were going to learn about together and now the poor thing is gone. So sad.
On a great note though - our trip was terrific!!! EK, Mom Mom and I had a great time on this beautiful day!!! We'll have to go at least a few more times before the winter really gets here! Please call us if you ever want company!!!
read more here
that is SO sad. We were there on Friday and I was wondering why there was only 1 elephant out. You are not silly. You have a tender heart and I love that about you!
ReplyDelete