Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Birthday Week: Day Three

So today was interesting. Started off great, ended pretty good, but the in between has left me a little ragged. Man, this mom stuff is tough. You love and give and love some more. Its exhausting! And somewhere in the day I am supposed to be a good wife, daughter, sister, friend, etc. How does it all fit in? Some days it doesn't always go to plan, but I guess thats just part of life. Today I was mostly "mom", a little "friend", very little "wife" and thats about it.
Like I said though - we started the day off great! Emma Kate woke up HAPPY, greeted us with a big grin and hugs and kisses for everyone! Got herself dressed, had a yummy breakfast! Her gift from Nana and Papa was a Tshirt from "out west" as she calls it! She was quick to notice its kinda big for her, but I assured her she would one day grow into it and until then she can wear it for a night shirt! She seemed to like that idea. Art and I gave her TWO gifts today! A new purple straw cup- she loves it! and a pack of Hello Kitty bandaids!!! So for another $4 today our girl was showered with more gifts! I think she's getting used to this. I wonder how she'll take it when Sunday comes and the gifts are done! Tomorrow she's getting...oh wait...don't want to ruin the surprise. Tonight Art and I hung up more streamers in the dining room and on the mantle. She'll love that!
We hit the zoo today and had a lots of ups and downs along the way - more ups than downs and an overall great time! Then after nap we went to her first Kindermusik class. It was a free trial - she seemed to like it okay - we may wait on actually signing up for it - although it seems like a really great program!
We (Art and I) are really having a tough time with discipline lately. I think we just can't decide how to handle different situations and end up being inconsistent. Its frustrating and in one word, leaves me feeling DEFEATED. I am passed being embarassed. I have walked out of so many places with a screaming toddler in my arms. That doesn't even phase me. The problem is, that it doesn't really seem to phase her either. All that to say - we have a new gameplan. We've written it down and now its up to me (and Art) to follow through. Thats the tough part. So thats our story these days! 3 days from having an official 3-year-old. And its already looking like 3 will be harder than 2 - did NOT think that was going to be possible. I think I am being proven wrong! Thankfully Emma Kate is terribly adorable, hilarious, kind, beautiful, witty, imaginative, loving, gentle(sometimes) and MINE!!! Her positive traits far outweigh the negative - there are moments I forget that and just need to be reminded!!!
See you on Day Four of Bday Week 2009!

2 comments:

  1. Loving the birthday week posts. I wish I could have been there for the kindermusick class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Katie. I think you perfectly expressed what we mamas of toddlers feel on an almost daily basis. The range of emotions from awe and love to total pull-your-hair-out frustration is incredible. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete