Tuesday, April 29, 2008

You're Gonna Miss This

Do you ever have a song that just "means" something to you? I feel like just about every stage of my life there has been a song that has really applied to me.
These days with Emma Kate are so precious to me. There are some days though that for some reason I can't wait to go to bed. This whole stay at home mom thing is exhausting, believe it or not! Physically draining, but more emotionally I think. I cannot imagine pouring more of myself into someone. And I know they say, "It will be a long time until you see the rewards of raising a young child." But I feel rewarded beyond what I deserve. Are you kidding me? When I walk into Emma Kate's room at night I see this beautiful blond curly head girl who is resting so peacefully. She is sound asleep and dreaming of Ella, Marshall, Jacob, cupcakes, dogs, tractors, birds, and who knows what else! I LOVE that time. Today when I picked my girl up from school she ran to the door and screamed, "Mommy!" Oh my - it was so special. I can't believe I have a little girl that calls me MOMMY!!! It sometimes just surprises me for some reason. Like, how did I get here? How did I get this life? God is good! God is Great!
Anyways, this song, Your're Gonna Miss This has been my song the last few weeks. I LOVE IT! I am totally the girl who always wanted whats next. When I was in high school, I wanted college. When I was at Auburn, I wanted a boyfriend. When Artie was my boyfriend, I wanted a diamond ring and to get married. When we were married, I wanted a BABY! I have a baby, and now what!!?! What else, what's next? This is it! This is the life I have always wanted. Always gone to sleep at night wishing for. Art is the man I always wanted and never expected. Emma Kate is the little girl from my dreams. Whew... this song reminds me to just enjoy every single day. Go with the flow. get messy. have fun. chill out. go down a slide. dig in the dirt. give hugs instead of getting mad. let her take the paper off of the crayons (even though it drives me CRAZY!). go play tennis with art. go for a walk and admire God's creation. I mean, life it good. I just need to look around and enjoy everyday. Anyways, if you are still reading you are a real pal! Hope you hear this song or any song one day and it means something to you that makes you think!

You're Gonna Miss This
Trace Adkins

She was staring out the window of their SUV
Complaning, saying "I can't wait to turn 18"
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules"
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you"

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her "It's a nice place"She says "It'll do for now"
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down"

Cause you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'And she keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me. I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.Huh, it's hard to believe, but...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"

2 comments:

  1. well written, my friend. i couldn't agree with your more. i am going to miss this one day. it is pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. because i don't know this song and because it has the words plumber and water heater in it, i think i'll safely assume it is of the country genre :)
    i have been thinkin' (< do ya like that?) lots about this lately so your post is very opportune. don made a comment: "this will be the time that we would wish to go back to when we're older." wow. we are living a blessed life at such an incredible time: having little, innocent kids! we will always think back on it, reminisce and wish to return.

    ReplyDelete