BUT - this is terribly sad and brings tears to my eyes and down my cheeks - shocking! Lawmakers are trying to sign into law the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA).
"This bill will overturn all inroads made restricting abortion, eliminating every restriction on abortion nationwide (including allowing girls as young as 12 to have an abortion without parental consent!) and endangers women and all Americans."
-Americans United for Life (AUL)
I have recently learned that over 1.2 million abortions occur in this nation every year. I had NO idea it was this many. I do understand that we can all have differing opinions on issues like this but I wanted to put it out there in the case someone may want to try to change this as well.
You can sign a petition, but I think the best thing to do is call your Congressman directly and ask why he supports this bill.
Here are the steps:
1. Go to this website and at the top left corner put in your zip code to find out who your House Representative is, ours is John Lewis (D) 5th District.
http://www.house.gov/
Thankfully our Senators Saxby and Isakson do not support this Act
2. Go to this website to find out if your rep supports the Freedom of Choice Act
http://www.aul.org/FOCA_Sponsors
3. Read the House (or Senate if they support it) version of the Act to figure out why and on what points you disagree (it may seem obvious to you, but you need concrete reason on why you disagree with this bill)
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1964: (NOTE, you have to go into the address bar of the web browser and put a colon ":" after 1964 b/c it doesn't pull through for some reason)
(The Senate version can be found here on the right side of the page http://www.fightfoca.com/about/ )
4. Call (or write, or even better, do both) your Representative's office and ask to speak to him and explain how this is one more way they are ruining our great country and tearing apart our families one Act at a time!!
Lewis's website http://johnlewis.house.gov/
Amen, Katie! I just simply cannot imagine how horrifying it would be for my child to have an abortion and my not know about it. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. We have to fight the government on this!
ReplyDeletePS - love your blog! Why have I not been here before?
ReplyDelete